Benefits Of Eating Organic Grass-fed Suet and Tallow
Suet and Tallow are still new to many. Before it really explodes in popularity and as you learn more, you will quickly realize that Suet and Rendered Tallow are tasty, a wonderful healthy cooking oil, and a natural healthy way to supplement dietary fat.
Let's take a look into Mother Nature's Ketogenic rocket fuel to give you a better understanding of the countless benefits of Beef Suet and Tallow.
1. Using Suet Reduces Food Waste.
Suet and Tallow are a nutritious and sustainable way of eating nose to tail, to reduce food waste and maximize your nutrient intake and variation using all parts of the animal including offal and beef fat just like previous generations did.
Photo Credit: OhLardy.com
2. Suet and Tallow Are Allergen Free.
Organic Grass-fed Non-GMO Project Verified Beef Suet is allergen-free and toxin-free. 90% of store-bought seed and vegetable oils are from GMO sources. For those with histamine, dairy, or casein allergies found in butter or cream, Beef Suet and rendered Tallow are great alternatives to enjoy tasty healthy fats without the allergy / histamine issues.
3. Suet and Tallow: Non-Inflammatory With A High Smoke Point.
Beef Suet and the clarified / rendered form, Beef Tallow is healthier and stable alternatives to industrially processed inflammation causing seed and vegetable oils like Canola Oil, Sunflower Oil, Soybean Oil, and Peanut Oil. All of these oils use chemical solvents in their extraction process and become highly unstable, producing oxidized cancer-causing free radicals when heated. Suet and Tallow are more stable and have a high smoke point of almost 400 °F / 200 °C.
4. Suet and Tallow Are Healthy Fats.
Suet and Tallow, just like avocado oil and coconut oil consists of natural and healthy unrefined saturated fats ~ an ideal daily addition to your healthy diet. Processed vegetable and seed oils like Canola Oil and Sunflower Oil are high in unhealthy polyunsaturated fats.
5. Suet And Tallow Are Nutrient Dense.
Suet and Tallow are rich in fat-soluble bioavailable vitamins A, D, E, K, and B1. Fat-soluble vitamins in Suet are easily absorbed into the body when eaten with fat.
Here is a great piece written by Dr. Atli Arnarson PhD on the function, benefits, and sources of these fat-soluble fats.
6. Suet And Tallow Are Energy Dense.
At 242 calories per ounce, both Suet and Tallow fat packs a mighty and healthy carb-free punch of energy which is exactly what is needed on a ketogenic or nose-to-tail carnivore diet. Make your own Tallow from our Suet, pop a tablespoon into your Coffee for the ultimate bulletproof Organic Grass-fed fatty coffee.
7. Homemade Tallow versus Store Bought Tallow Gives Peace of Mind.
With Certified Organic and Verified Grass-fed Homemade Tallow or Suet, you know you prepared it yourself, you know the source of the beef suet, and you know it is a pure beef fat that came from an animal that was raised on Organic grass and nothing else.
Store-Bought Beef Tallow. A word of warning.
No matter how agricultural the packaging and marketing will look, when buying store-bought Tallow in the grocery store or health food store, it is important to point out that these store-bought Tallow products are almost exclusively hydrogenated. This is done to extend shelf life for up to two-plus (2 +) years without refrigeration. Not good. Not natural.
Hydrogenated Tallow is mostly used in industrial applications such as lubricants, greases, plastics, and furniture waxes. We are all for utilizing beef fat like Suet and Tallow in all its forms including for industrial application but do draw an ethical and healthly line in the sand when it comes to consuming hydrogenated tallow.
Homemade rendered Tallow from Suet, which you know is non-hydrogenated, is the best by far!
Photo Credit: The Daring Gourmet
8. Homemade Tallow Is Easy To Make.
Raw suet, a pot, and low heat are all you need to render down the crumbly Suet beef fat into a nourishing and tasty Beef Tallow which you can use as your main cooking oil in the kitchen or as a butter replacement.
9. Suet And Tallow For Ketosis.
Despite being a fat, consuming healthy Suet or Beef Tallow stimulates the release of glucagon, the hormone that signals to your body that it's time to burn stored fat (visceral body fat) to use for energy leading to weight loss. This makes Suet or Tallow the ideal fat for a Ketogenic Diet. Ketosis occurs when Glucagon is high, and Insulin is low. The high ratio between glucagon and insulin signals to your body to burn body fat for energy.
Glucagon Metabolic Action. Image Credit: Researchgate.net
10. Suet and Tallow Promote Gut Health.
You optimize your microbiome by eating fermented foods and not consuming heavily processed oils. A healthy gut has been shown to promote healthy digestion, food transit time, reduce or eliminate constipation and even promote positive mental health. Both Suet and Tallow, especially Certified Organic and Grass-fed are gentle on the gut microbiome.
Image Credit: https://neuroscience.episirus.org/
11. Suet and Tallow Are High in Omega 3’s.
Organic Grass-fed beef suet is an excellent source of cancer-fighting CLA’s (conjugated linoleic acid) and heart-friendly Omega 3 fatty acid.
12. Stearic Acid Content.
The saturated fat stearic acid found in Suet and Tallow lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol slightly, induces fat metabolism, and promotes appetite satiety.
13. Suet and Tallow for Skincare.
The saturated fat stearic acid found in Suet and Tallow nourishes your skin’s cell membranes when consumed, which helps to keep skin smooth. Tallow is a natural, chemical-free skin moisturizer. Natural cosmetic brands use stearic acid derived from Suet and Tallow as their natural moisturizing ingredient.
14. Beef Suet and Rendered Tallow Have A Long Shelf Life.
In the freezer, both Suet and Tallow can last years. Tallow is room temperature stable and will stay good for up to a year at room temperature. *Fresh Suet, when stored in the refrigerator is best used within 5 days, so we recommend freezing Suet into portions for long-term storage.
15. Buying Suet Is Great Value For Money.
- Beef suet is not expensive, a little goes a long way. 2 lbs. of Suet is a lot cheaper than a jar of Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Suet can be eaten on its own or rendered into Tallow for your very own homemade cooking oil or fatty coffee, this works out far cheaper per fluid oz. than store-bought industrial processed oils.
- While Suet is still unknown to most outside the Carnivore and Paleo community, its price remains very reasonable however, we are sure Suet and Tallow will explode in popularity just as Coconut Oil did 10 years ago.
- Not many people realize, you can buy Suet from both Beef and also from Lamb. Both carry the same nutrient profiles.
Finally, let us take a look at exactly how Suet compares its fats content profile and smoke point to other common cooking oils.
- You will see that Suet (and Tallow) have a similar overall profile to Coconut Oil.
- Suet and Tallow have the second-lowest levels of unhealthy Poly-unsaturated fat (3 grams), just one gram above Coconut Oil (2 grams).