It is a well-established fact that Liver, for nutrient density, is the absolute King of natural foods in the animal and plant kingdom. Nothing comes even close.
Mother Nature’s most concentrated source of Vitamin A along with huge amounts of B12, Riboflavin, Iron, and Copper make this cut of meat a truly unique booster for your overall health and wellbeing.
It is therefore of no surprise that big supplement brands have jumped on the Beef Liver bandwagon with dried/desiccated Liver pills and selling them at ridiculously high margins using liver from mainly unverified sources.
Let’s cut through the marketing noise for a moment for some perspective......
A quick scan online reveals leading liver supplement brand prices average about $45 for 120 capsules. You will see each daily serving of 4 capsules containing 3 grams of actual liver, which means you are paying $45 for just 90g or 3.17 oz of liver per bottle.
It takes 12/14 oz of raw liver to make 3 oz of Dried Liver.
Even if you assume Liver is the only ingredient in the bottle, factor in moisture loss in the drying process, you are still looking at a price per pound of $57 to $65 per lb of actual liver per lb.!!!
In short, that is some very expensive Liver!
Certified Organic Grass-Fed Liver: $11 to $13 per lb.
A Leading Brand of Dried Beef Liver : $60 per lb.
But what if you don’t like the taste of Liver? Are you stuck paying hyper inflated prices per month just to avoid the liver taste? Absolutely not.
We can help you make your own Beef Liver Supplements that are more natural, much cheaper than from any bottle you bought online and have virtually no taste.
Here are two super easy ways to enjoy all the nutritional benefits of Liver without the taste (if you don’t like it)
How to make your own Liver Supplement
Method 1 – Frozen Raw Beef Liver Supplement
- Order frozen Beef Liver from a source that ideally sells Organic/Grass-Fed to avoid toxins or antibiotic/hormone residues.
- Take Liver out to semi thaw (approximately 60 to 80 minutes). The semi thawed Liver will slice up easily.
- Wash your hands.
- On a clean chopping board, use a sharp knife to slice semi-thawed raw liver into pill-sized pieces.
- Place the small raw liver pieces baking/parchment paper. This ensures they will not stick.
- Place flat in your freezer for 4 days ensuring your freezer is at -4 F or colder.
- Take out of Freezer after 4 days, use a spoon to gently scrape the frozen pieces into a Tupperware or bowl.
- Place Tupperware with your homemade frozen liver pills back into the freezer
- Take your frozen liver supplement with water before each meal. Use as many as you wish.
- The heavy freezing ensures you will barely taste anything at all when you place it in your mouth to swallow with water plus no after taste.
Carnivore/Animal-Based Diet Tip: Before freezing, sprinkle the sliced liver pieces with good quality salts such as Redmond Salt or Maldon Sea Salt. A great way to get in quality electrolytes at the same time as your liver.
Raw Liver putting you off even if it is frozen?
No problem let's cook it first!
Method 2 – Frozen Cooked Beef Liver Supplement
- Pan Fry Grass-Fed Beef Liver in a healthy fat like Butter, Ghee, or rendered Suet.
- Cook the Liver to medium doneness with a good quality sea salt or kosher salt.
- Take off the pan and let the Liver sit to room temperature.
- Wash your hands and slice the cooked Beef Liver into pill-sized pieces.
- Place pieces on baking/parchment paper then into the Freezer at -4 F or colder overnight.
- Take out of the freezer the following day and transfer the now frozen homemade cooked liver pills into a Tupperware or bowl.
- Store the Tupperware in your freezer and take your cooked (but frozen) liver supplement as needed.
- Just knockback with some water as you would any pill or supplement.
- We recommend 3 to 4 pieces of our DIY liver supplement before or with each meal.
*The Freezer is your ultimate friend here if you want to avoid the taste of Liver as the freezing of the cooked liver pieces into DIY frozen liver pills will ensure you barely taste anything all when you swallow with water each day.
Liver Cooking Tip: Always cook Liver to medium doneness. An overcooked liver will be dry and taste much stronger due to the Iron becoming more concentrated.
Benefits of making your own Beef Liver Supplements.
- Save a ton of money. The price per lb will be at least 85% cheaper than dried liver pills.
- Due to the much lower price, you can now enjoy a lot more natural frozen liver.
- You know your source as you bought the raw liver yourself.
- You will only use liver so no mystery ingredients.
- Your body will digest the liver in its natural form and absorb all the nutrients just as nature intended.
- Kids. This is a great way to get kids to take liver and reap the huge nutrient benefits.
- No taste. Your own 100% natural frozen liver pills will have no aftertaste. Ideal for those who don’t like the taste of liver.
- Just like the best food is homemade food, the best liver supplement is the one you make yourself from real liver.
Problem with Freeze-Dried / Store Bought Liver Supplements
- Outrageously expensive on a raw price per lb basis.
- The ‘Grass-Fed’ Claim is in most cases false/ misleading.
- FDA has no legal definition or verification for Grass-Fed, so any brand is free to use.
- The source of the Liver is seldom revealed.
- In most cases, all the well-known supplement brands outsource to China.
- Unknown ingredients. A huge problem in the supplement industry with ingredients commonly (and legally) not on the label.
- Unless stated, a dried liver brand will be using solvents Diethyl Ether (purity 99.0%) and Chloroform (purity 99.5%) in the defatting process.
To put all these points in another way, ask yourself, which would you prefer……….?
-Fresh Milk from a cow you drink in a glass or dried Milk Powder from a tub?
-Meat from the Butcher or the dried Jerky in a convenience store with a 2-year shelf life?
Liver Supplement for Dogs
Many of us have four-legged family members that we love, care for, and ensure they get the very best foods. However, just like supplements for humans, the pet supplement industry is a multi-billion industry where basic food ingredients are heavily marketed in bottles, packages, or pills at huge profit margins.
Yet all these supplement companies are doing in most cases is repurposing a food already freely available for a fraction of the price and adding their marketing buzz.
Enter The Homemade Dog Liver Supplement....!
The Liver is highly prized in the wild for its nutrients by carnivorous animals and your pets will be no different. One of the best things you could give your Dog or Cat is to share a few pieces of your homemade liver supplement each day.
Don’t believe me? Just watch as your dog or cats natural predatory instinct kick in and they gobble the Liver just like their ancestors! Your pets will thank you for this delicious and highly nutritious gift that will trump anything at Petsmart and at a fraction of the cost.
Dog Liver Supplement Tip: I like to add a few of my frozen liver pill pieces to our 15 year old Chow Gerry’s food at each mealtime and he devours it.
Real Liver comes from cattle not factories. In my opinion, the best liver supplement is the one you make yourself from the real liver and not from a supplement brand that outsources to an undisclosed white label factory. Eat nutrient dense liver like your ancestors did - the natural way!
DIY Liver Supplement Summary
- The price of leading desiccated Liver supplement brands is extremely high.
- Dried Liver supplements average $58 to $65 on a per lb. basis.
- Top-quality raw Organic Grass-Fed Liver is 75% cheaper and will cost $11 to $13 per pound.
- FDA does not enforce/define the ‘Grass-Fed’ claim on supplements so any brand can claim this.
- Slicing raw or cooked Liver then freezing is a great way to enjoy the health benefits of Liver.
- The freezing process will kill the taste when you place it in your mouth and swallow.
- No after-taste with frozen liver pills.
- You know what you are getting when you source Liver yourself.
- Liver is a great nutrient-rich treat for dogs and cats.
* Please Note : in today's article, we are talking about supplements made from liver not supplements to take to boost/detox/clean the liver. That is a whole different category.