5 Tasty Lamb Leftover Sandwich Ideas
Whenever you cook a little too much lamb for dinner - here are 5 Lamb Sandwich ideas for Leftover Lamb to help you craft the ultimate rustic Lamb Sandwich that will inspire, get your heart racing, and your taste buds jumping!
Today's 5 Lamb leftover sandwich ideas, while not lamb leftover recipes in the formal step-by-step sense, these 5 creative ideas are meant to help you make full use of any leftover lamb cuts you may have.
Feel free to swap, take out and add your own spin to any of these lamb leftover ideas.
Our Favorite Lamb Sandwich Ideas for Leftover Lamb are:
- Chimichurri Lamb Sandwich
- Lamb Cheesesteak
- Lamb Gyro
- Lamb Grilled Cheese
- Pulled BBQ Lamb Sandwich
But briefly, let's first look at the best Lamb cuts to make sandwiches with.
Which Cut Of Lamb Is Best For Making Sandwiches?
You can use any Lamb cut for one of the sandwiches on today's list. However, our favorites for leftovers are Leg of Lamb, slow-cooked Lamb Shank, or Lamb Loin Chops which are shaped like miniature T-bone steaks, and are among the most versatile.
Part of the beauty of cooking is what you can create with leftovers so let's take sandwich making to a whole new level with Lamb!
1. Chimichurri Lamb Sandwich
This easy-to-make leftover Lamb sandwich is an ideal weeknight meal. Plus, it is packed with flavor thanks to the tangy chimichurri sauce, which is one of the best sauces to pair with lamb and makes a classic side dish to serve with lamb anytime!
You can use any cut of Lamb, though we suggest Lamb Loin Chops as they are almost steak-like in texture and mouthfeel.
- Reheat leftover lamb gently in the air fryer.
- Caramelize some onions on a pan with butter and assemble your sandwich while the lamb reheats.
- Drizzle chimichurri sauce over one side of toasted sourdough bread and the Lamb meat itself.
- Top your sandwich with arugula, sliced tomatoes, and caramelized onions for added flavor.
You can swap out any of these ingredients based on your personal preference. We find that cheese also makes a stellar addition to this dish, particularly fresh Mozzarella, Provolone, or Cotija.
2. Lamb Cheesesteak
You do not only have to use beef to make a tasty cheesesteak sandwich.
Other meats like Lamb, pair delightfully well with sautéed bell peppers, onions, aioli sauce, and tons of ooey gooey cheese.
We suggest using provolone cheese, much like the traditional recipe calls for. The sharp cheese tastes delectable with mild Lamb.
- Any sliced cut of Lamb will work for this lamb leftover idea.
- Leg of lamb is perfect for this dish since it is easy to work with and boasts a pungent flavor.
- Leftover Lamb Sirloin Chops are also great to use, considering they look and eat like steaks.
- The addition of Aioli sauce takes this to the stars!
3. Lamb Gyro
A Greek Classic!
The best cuts to use for making Lamb Gyros are the leftover Leg or Shoulder.
- You can slice the leftover lamb thinly or into kabab chunks, much like traditional Souvlaki skewers.
- Either option makes for a yummy Gyro paired with diced tomatoes, onions, and feta cheese on top of a toasted pita or good quality bread.
- Serve your Leftover Lamb Gyro with Tzatziki sauce or Hummus for an out-of-this-world first bite.
*** If you want to do a truly authentic Greek-style sandwich, whip up some crispy fries to toss in and serve on the side. Thicker, hand-cut fries work best to make Patatas Tiganites (Greek Olive Oil Fries).
This video is a handy and flavorful leftover leg of lamb sandwich with a greek twist by adding veggies, yogurt, and garlic.
4. Lamb Grilled Cheese
This hearty grilled cheese featuring leftover Lamb is just the best comfort meal. Any cheese works well for this recipe, but we find that Mozzarella, Havarti, or Feta cheese pairs exceptionally well with leftover lamb meat.
You may use shredded slow-cooked Lamb, preferably leftovers from the Shank, as the protein for this sandwich.
We also like to incorporate greens, such as spinach or arugula, for a pop of color and additional nutritional value (something has to balance out all that rich lamb and cheese!).
- First, coat two slices of sourdough bread with butter and place them on a skillet at medium-high heat for 2 ½ minutes per side.
- As soon as the sourdough is perfectly golden brown and add your leftover lamb with some butter and cheese to the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid, allowing the butter and cheese to melt into the leftover lamb.
Serve the Lamb and Cheese on your crispy sourdough and add a little arugula on top.
5. Pulled BBQ Lamb
Pulled BBQ Lamb sandwiches are oh-so-delicious. You make this dish essentially the same way you would a Southern-style pulled pork sandwich.
- Leftover Lamb shanks or leftover shoulder are perfect for this sandwich.
- Gently reheat your leftover lamb in a stovetop pot or instant pot.
- Add some dry ingredients as the leftover lamb begins to warm ie salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and some cayenne
- Start to pull the lamb meat fibers apart with two forks for a "pulled lamb" effect.
- Now add in a generous helping of your favorite barbeque sauce. You want enough to coat the lamb leftovers.
Feel free to add in some extra sauce for added flavor and moisture. Place your lamb on a soft brioche bun with some homemade slaw and enjoy!
- Lamb meat is ideal to enjoy as leftovers.
- Lamb are ruminants so always insist on Grass-Fed Lamb.
- Lamb Sandwich does make a wonderful sandwich protein.
- Always reheat lamb leftovers gently and slowly so you keep the juiciness.
- Any sandwich where beef is used can be swapped out for lamb.