Cooking Lamb Chops In The Oven: How Long?
When it comes to lamb chops, one of the most common questions we get is “for cooking lamb chops in the oven: how long do I need to cook them for?”.
Today's article, we answer this question in great detail with some important dos and don’ts to ensure you enjoy oven cooked lamb chops at their absolute optimum flavor, doneness, and juiciness.
Best Lamb Chops To Cook In The Oven
We know cooking lamb chops in the oven can be a little tricky sometimes! The best types of lamb chops to cook in the oven are lamb rib chops and lamb loin chops.
Fully trimmed ‘Lollipop’ style lamb chops are not preferred when using an oven as a lot of the fat is trimmed off so these taste best when pan-fried.
Cooking Lamb Chops In The Oven: What Do You Need?
Before we cover cooking lamb chops in the oven oven for 'How Long', we will share the ingredients and tools you will need to make the most delicious lamb chops ever.
• For starters, we always urge our customers to use fresh lamb chops, preferably organic grass-fed lamb chops.
• Home oven, preferably with a convection air fan but a standard US broiler style oven works fine too.
• A meat thermometer is a must-have to be able to check for the doneness of your lamb chops.
• Other ingredients you will need to cook lamb chops in the oven include:
- Olive Oil or Butter
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Herbs (Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, and Thyme are popular pairings)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
When cooking lamb chops in the oven, we also find it convenient and get the best results with a cast-iron skillet to give an initial sear.
You can use the skillet for the initial searing of your lamb chops (more on that later) and even transition to the entire skillet in the oven to bake them.
Cooking Lamb Chops In The Oven: How Long?
Many clients have approached us in the past about the cooking time for oven-baked lamb chops. Luckily, we will answer all the questions regarding cooking lamb chops in the oven: 'How Long' in this section.
Before we answer how long to cook them, you should know that frozen bone-in cuts of lamb like lamb rib chops need about two days to defrost. If your lamb chops are already in the fridge, you only have to take them out about 90 minutes before cooking.
However, those who plan to marinate lamb chops should reserve at least 1 to 24 hours for the lamb to soak the marinade up in the refrigerator.
- Once you are ready to cook your lamb, sear the chops on a super-hot cast-iron skillet or frying pan with butter for about 1 minute on each side.
- Then, take the cast iron skillet with the lamb chops and place it into your preheated oven. You can place the seared lamb chops on a roasting tray or roasting wire rack, however, based on our experience, keeping on the skillet maintains moisture.
- We advise using an oven temperature of 350 °F (175 °C)
- Cook the lamb chops in the oven until Medium Rare to Medium at most.
- 3 to 5 minutes in the oven will give medium-rare doneness or for 5 to 7 minutes in the oven will give for medium doneness.
- Remove the lamb chops from the oven, allowing them to rest for an additional 5 minutes before serving.
- The lamb chops should have a juicy, pink center, and a perfectly seared exterior!
Meat Thermometer: We always recommend using a meat thermometer to check for accurate doneness and not rely solely on X amount of minutes of cooking time.
Should Lamb Chops Be Covered When Cooked In The Oven?
A common follow-up question to cooking lamb chops in the oven: how long is whether or not should the lamb be covered inside the oven?
You do not have to cover your lamb chops in the oven. However, some customers prefer to do so to prevent additional browning on the outer layer and to help preserve moisture.
If you plan to cook one of the bigger-sized main cuts of lamb like the leg of lamb or lamb shoulder, we recommend covering it with aluminum foil in the oven.
We always recommend searing the lamb chops first on a scalding cast-iron skillet or frying pan for a minute on each side to attain a charred exterior.
How To Know Lamb Chops Are Done When Cooked In The Oven?
Meat thermometers are invaluable tools for checking for doneness in lamb chops. Just be sure to perform your reading after the lamb chops rest for about five minutes. This is because the lamb continues to cook during this time, making them perfectly juicy and flavorful.
In summary, you can tell if lamb chops are ready to serve after the rest period when your meat thermometer displays an internal temperature of:
Lamb Chop Doneness Level
Optimal Internal Temperature
120 degrees F (50 degrees C)
130 degrees F (54 degrees C)
140 degrees F (60 degrees C)
145 degrees F (65 degrees C)
160 degrees F (70 degrees C)
Lamb and Lamb Chops Doneness: In our experience, any lamb, including lamb chops should not exceed medium doneness. Always aim for a nice pink center with lamb / lamb chops.
The sweet spot for lamb chop doneness is medium rare to medium.
Some folks even prefer rare lamb chops which may not be everyone's preference.
Best Kind Of Oven To Cook Lamb Chops In
Many of us might not realize that our ovens impact the quality and speed of cooking lamb chops. We will review different types of ovens, revealing which varieties are best for making lamb chops in the oven below.
Cooking Lamb Chops In The Oven: How Long – Ovens From Canada & the United States
Conventional North American-style ovens operate via a heating chamber located at the bottom. When cooking lamb chops in these ovens, place your tray or baking sheet at least halfway above the heating chamber to avoid overcooking the lamb.
Cooking Lamb Chops In The Oven: How Long – Ovens From Australia, Europe, and the United Kingdom
Modern European convection ovens are ideal for cooking lamb chops in the oven. They use a different type of heating system than those in North America, utilizing a fan to spread heat throughout the cooking process evenly.
Some brands worth checking out include:
Alternative Method To Cooking Lamb Chops In The Oven: Cooking Lamb Chops In The Air Fryer – How Long?
If you are pinched on time, you can easily cook your lamb chops in the air fryer. The appliance has been all the rage these days, and for a good reason! Air fryer lamb chops come out juicy and delicious in a fraction of the time it would take in the oven. That said, air fryers boast a similar heating system to European-style fan ovens, which work best for cooking lamb chops.
To make air fryer lamb chops, preheat the appliance to 390 degrees Fahrenheit (199 degrees Celsius). Clean and pat dry the lamb chops before seasoning them with your desired spices and olive oil. We recommend black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
You may also use a tasty marinade for lamb chops, such as a fresh mint and Greek yogurt marinade.
So, when cooking air fryer lamb chops: how long should they take? Air fry the lamb chops for 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the strength of your air fryer.
Flip the lamb chops at the halfway mark, ensuring the meat is cooked thoroughly and reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit (54 degrees Celsius) for medium rare. Once they are cooked, let the lamb chops rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cooking Lamb Chops In The Oven: How Long?
Cooking Mutton Chops In The Oven: How Long?
Mutton is the meat sourced from mature lamb, which is typically harvested at around 2 to 3 years of age. When cooking mutton chops in the oven, you must account for the tougher, denser meat fibers found in the older animal. Thus, it would be best if you cooked them 10 to 15% longer than the time it would take you to make regular lamb chops versus mutton chops.
Cooking Marinated Lamb Chops In The Oven: How Long?
Marinated lamb chops are perfect for cooking in the oven! They should be cooked for the same amount of time as regular, dry seasoned lamb chops. Marinating your lamb chops first will add both flavor and help keep the chops nice and moist.
If you didn’t get the chance to marinate your lamb yet still want to elevate its natural flavor, pair your lamb chops with a yummy dipping sauce like Greek-style Tzatziki.
Looking for some ideas on what to serve with your oven cooked lamb chops? Check out our article " Best 9 Side Dishes To Serve with Lamb Dinners" for some inspiration.
Summary: Cooking Lamb Chops In The Oven: How Long?
- You can easily cook lamb chops in the oven.
- Cooking in the oven is suited to Lamb Rib Chops or Lamb Loin Chops. Lollipop style lamb chops are better in the pan.
- Lamb Chops are always best served to a target doneness of Medium Rare to Medium.
- We recommend first searing lamb chops on a hot cast iron for 1 minute per side then finish in a pre-heated oven set to 350 °F.
- Invest in a good meat thermometer to enjoy accurate and consistent oven cooked lamb chops doneness each and every time.
- Stuck for time, try cooking lamb chops in an air fryer for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Marinating lamb chops the day before adds both flavor and helps lock in moisture during the oven cooking process.